Friday, December 09, 2005

Essence of Life

Its 11.30 in the night. I look outside my window. It has been raining for quite some time now. Its all dark and wet outside, and something inside me compels me to believe that somewhere inside me is a child crying out of desperation to free herself. Maybe its because of the fact that life being so much like a meandering river with no obstacles coming by that despite how much effort one puts in to make the water agitate, it becomes calm after a handful of seconds. And it continues to flow with the same serenity as it was earlier.
The background noises fade into a disturbing hum to which my mind has stopped responding. Brain is feeling really lethargic like a proud snail perched up on a slimy pebble near the beach, with small tiny waves hitting the pebble from time to time. A shiver runs down my spine as a sudden wave of cold moist breeze hits my face through the window. The noise of raindrops falling on the ground fills up the air. The chaotic disturbances in the wave patterns on the stagnant water accumulated in the puddle outside astonishes me. Life isn’t always that predictable. Though, one might feel that he can foresee what’s coming up, it rarely happens that way. Its all in the mind I say. I have an exam the day after tomorrow and I still am unsure of my preparation. The thought that I can visualize myself sitting in the examination hall and struggling to get the answer of a question scares me, I know that I still cant tell what’s the “Day” is going to be like.
At times we perceive what we want to perceive and at times its just coz of the people around us want us to perceive. Have we ever stopped for a moment in our busy lives and wondered how it would be like if we just wanted to do the things we do for satisfaction, and not because we are a part of the rat-race around? Well, what I am saying is all very idealistic, but yet we do have moments in life when we just want to leave everything aside and be with ourselves, just ourselves! And that is the time when we actually realize that the things we are doing now contribute minimal in our lives. As once somebody has said, that if I am what I am coz you are what u are, then I am what I am and you are what you are…but if it’s the other way round, then nobody knows himself. The essence of the above statement lies in the fact that how much time one spends being himself. We wear masks in our lives, smiling ones, laughing ones, angry ones…even when we are not in that emotional state. But when have we just been ourselves? Taken off that mask and thrown in away, to face the world when its “looking” into your “face” ? I bet most of us fear that, and that’s pretty normal, but way off from a ‘satisfying normal’ ! Stripping off ourselves from all kinds of worldly fears, be it fear of failure, be it fear of losing someone you love or be it the fear of getting lost in the crowd. Opening the doors to let thoughts and ideas flow in along with dangers and confusions. But that’s what life is all about, right?. A young energetic river with rapids and eddies, not a lazy snail on a pebble. A bright green grasshopper popping in and out of the grass, not a hippo idling its time in a grubby pond. It’s a journey on a roller coaster, letting down your hair, feeling the wind across your face….its an adventure and that too with extreme risks. But one realizes that when he looks outside the window!

18 comments:

AG said...

!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"life being so much like a meandering river with no obstacles coming by that despite how much effort one puts in to make the water agitate"...are you sure you wanna say that again?? i am certain quite a few people would have different opinions, or are you talking about your life?

a well written realisation nevertheless

CB said...

what exam..???!

CHRIST, don't tell me Make up..!

Ankita DJ said...

well..here goes..
@aji:thanks..that was very expressive indeed..!!
@navneet:it was one of my low days so such stuff is ought to come out..afterall blogging is for that purpose aint it..eh..?
@karty:chill dude..i wrote this long back..before A slot..so just chill..!!

CB said...

haaah..thanx...! u scared the wits out of me..

Anonymous said...

well certainly makes sense in that case...oh and a blog can be used for any purpose...so don't buckle down to a given frame...
keep it going lass

CB said...

Hey..you got A in eco..jus checked.
and ya..why don't we meet up sometime..msg me naa..'ve lost your cell no..mine is 9840904551(dunno if you have this one..)

Ankita DJ said...

thanks a ton karty but id prefer a not-so-public display of my grades..lets just keep it the boards..shall we..?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.. Really nice n honest post.. Had never known or seen u this way.. :)

Akanksha

Kini said...

People talk about never having known or seen you this way. At the risk of sounding condescending, I'd like to say this.... Beneath that bubbly, energetic and zealous tomboy mask, I've always been able to see a pensive, mature and very sombre woman. It's that knowledge that makes me proud to be your brother and have conversations with you by barely saying anything.

You know that smile I give you that gets you all worked up? It's directed to the woman inside you. I think this blog will be a very nice place for that woman.

Good job ankita.

Yours always,
Big Brother! :D

The Ignoramus said...

A young energetic river with rapids and eddies, not a lazy snail on a pebble. A bright green grasshopper popping in and out of the grass, not a hippo idling its time in a grubby pond.

Well... don't u see that the Nature behind the grasshopper, and the snail, the rapid river and the hippo are all just the same? She chooses to manifest herself in different forms. And all forms are equally beautiful. Aren't they? After all, its a part of Her. If an individual sees life, and beauty in only a section of this vast manifestation, isn't he/she being ignorant?

Ankita DJ said...

@ram: well true to some extent, but whats the harm in relating ur life with some particular aspect of Nature. Although there is beauty in each and every inch of Nature, but some things are more appealing than the others..

Saurabh said...

Hi,

One of the best works I've read. The imagery, expression and realization in your words is precious. For someone your age, you're mature enough to go a long-long way in life! The meaning you've put in the chaos of nature, little instances of life, importance of individual passion and being with 'your own self' are all valuable words of wisdom. I'm glad to have stopped by.

Thank you for sharing, and all the very best to you, always!

Ankita DJ said...

@mr. wanderer: thanks a lot for the comment. i dont quite think i know u...but its good to see u wandering around here...!! :)

Saurabh said...

Hi,

You don't quite know me yet, so shouldn't have addressed me as MR. wanderer. But it's good to hear from you... !!

Ankita DJ said...

@wanderer: well, mr. wanderer seemed more respectable..!! ;)

Saurabh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saga said...

hmm...I think the reason behind people refraining from removing the mask is the feeling of vunerability. If somebody can read your emotions as it is, you are then the most vunerable target. Guess that's why we are so ourselves amongst who we love, coz we trust them to protect us.

Or probably its just the paranoid me who has little trust in the world.